This page is for your ease of access to information only! This GOB MSME Support Program is NOT being administered by the DFC. You will NOT be applying with the DFC for this Program.
To apply for this Government of Belize Program, Scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the ‘Apply’ Button link.
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions about this MSME Support Program.
What is the MSME Support Program?
The MSME Support Program is a Government of Belize initiative that provides financial relief to Belize’s Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in order to help safeguard and promote employee retention, as well as assist MSMEs as they transition and adapt to the economic challenges presented by the COVID-19.
What components are included under the MSME Support Program?
$2.5 million BZD
- GRANTS to micro-enterprises from across the country, with a cap of $2,500 each.
$7.0 million BZD
- WAGE SUBSIDIES to promote employee retention on the condition that these businesses keep their
employees’ Social Security contributions current.
$5.0 million BZD
- SOFT-LOANS component limited to approved small- and medium-sized enterprises to assist with working
capital in preparation for reopening and accelerating production.
Who can benefit from this program?
Beneficiaries of the MSME Support Program will be segmented into three (3) categories determined by the number of employees:
|SIZE OF ENTERPRISE||NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES||NOTES|
|MICRO||2 to 4 persons||Inclusive of the business owner|
|SMALL||5 to 20 persons|
|MEDIUM||21 to 51 persons|
How much can businesses access under this program?
- $2,500 for Micro Enterprises under the Grant Facility (Fixed amount)
- Up to $15,000 for Small Enterprises under the Loan Facility
- Up to $25,000 for Medium Enterprises under the Loan Facility
What can the money be used to fund?
Funds provided under the program can be used for:
- Retention of employees
- Financing of working capital:
- Purchasing of essential raw materials and production inputs
- Supporting the promotion and marketing of products and services for market expansion
- Diversification of existing products and services based on changing market conditions
- Investments in productive assets: machines, equipment, tools, or others that are relevant to the commercial and operational activity of the company
- Support in the implementation of nationally required COVID-19 health protocols
What are the eligibility criteria that applicants are expected to meet?
- Be a Micro, Small, Medium Enterprise as defined in the Target Group section above.
- Have been operating the business for at least one year prior to March 2020
- Be engaged in one of the following areas:
- Tourism and Leisure
- Transportation and logistics
- Light Manufacturing
- Creative and Cultural Industries
- Commercial Free Zones (Note: only eligible for wage subsidy OR employees may directly apply for Unemployment Relief)
- Be Belizean owned, and for incorporated businesses = Shareholding must be 51% Belizean ownership, minimum.
- Must have been negatively impacted by COVID-19.