- March 16, 2018
- Category: News
In commemoration of International Women’s Month and in support of the 20,000 Strong initiative, the Development Finance Corporation (DFC) donated needed items to Haven House, a safe home for women and their children who have been victims of domestic violence.
The donation of home and personal care items helps Haven House to provide for the women and children. ‘Very often, the women arrive without belongings,’ stated Mindy Pratt, Program Coordinator for Haven House.
The Home provides refuge, counseling and life-skills training, often for several families for up to three months at a time. Haven House also donates items to the women which helps them to generate their own income, lessening financial dependence on those who use it as a mechanism of control.
“The home needs a lot of support.” says Ms. Pratt. Haven House is a non-profit initiative n that relies heavily on donations made by citizens an organizations. Ms. Pratt appeals to all persons, businesses and companies to donate as generously as they can. Items always needed are:
- Food, personal care products and home supplies
- Household appliances such as blenders, cake mixers etc. (For life skills training an income generation)
- Clothing & footwear for women
- Clothing & footwear for babies, children and teens
- Call:  630 4839 – Mindy Pratt, Program Coordinator, Haven House
- Send a message via: www.facebook.com/HavenHouseBz
- E-mail: email@example.com
Forms of Family Violence
- Physical Abuse – Kicking, slapping, punching and grabbing or hitting with objects.
- Sexual Abuse – Having sex with another person against his/her will or forcibly without protection as requested.
- Economic Abuse – Taking control of all financial resources including the victim’s wages or other income.
- Psychological Abuse – Controlling his/her activities, isolating him or her from their family or constant name calling and insults.
- Call 911 in case of an Emergency
- Haven House Hotline: 222-4343
- 227-7397 – Belize City
- 804-2098 – San Ignacio Town
- 702-2021 – Punta Gorda Town
- 502-0038 – Dangriga Town
- 302-2058 – Orange Walk Town
- 402-2120 – Corozal Town
- 203-0970 – YES – Belize City (Youth Enhancement Services)
- 203-1018 – BFLA – Belize City (Belize Family Life Association)
- 615-7010 – CDF – Belmopan (Child Development Foundation)
- 804-4562 – Mary Open Doors – San Ignacio Town
- 622-8671 – POWA – Dangriga Town
- Contact numbers for Police Stations and Women’s Department Countrywide
In the Photo: (L-R) Jossie Paz, Credit Officer, DFC | Staff, Haven House | Natalie E-Wing Goff, General Manager, DFC | Mindy Pratt, Program Coordinator, Haven House | Miguelina Poot Varela, Manager, Human Resources and General Affairs, DFC